Illustrators of the Future 2006

7.16.2007

So ... do you like ... stuff?


Hello, all! Long time no see. I beg forgiveness; I moved. I'm down near Austin now, attempting to get into video game development. I haven't had so much as a nibble, although someone from Certain Affinity Games told me I had a nice portfolio, despite the fact that they have no positions open. I'll take what I can get, I s'pose. I also have no Internetz, le sob, because there's pretty much no service in a town with a population of 1410. Unless you have money, and I don't, so ...
The rabbit guy is to be my second published illustration of my career. I was definitely thinking Usagi Yojimbo when I was allowed to take my pick of animal templates to do. It's for a roleplaying game called Shard, to be released March 2008 or thereabouts. All the "people" in the world are animal people. (I currently forget the game term for them.) I have 2 more to do, an otter and a wolverine, at least for this batch. My roughs have needed corrections from the lead, but this final required no corrections, so I was pretty pleased. The lead gave me Corel Painter 9 and taught me some pretty wicked sweet painting techniques. My Video Game Art class has also taught me some techniques that are borderline morally reprehensible because they're so easy and realistic. Like, the ability to paint forests in 30 seconds ...
This is a huge leap from my usual style of super-comic, and I've really surprised myself. Who knew I had the capacity to think in terms of value?

2 Comments:

  • Congrats on getting another piece published! These designs seem like a perfect fit for you. I like this piece overall--the face, textures, and attitude of the character are strong. The only thing I would suggest is maybe finding photo reference for the folds in the clothing--the shading makes it feel a little stiff and heavy. But again, nice job overall.

    By Blogger Ozzie, at 18 July, 2007  

  • Ah, brave fencer Haresashi. See now his form is perfect, like Cobra Striking Water Drop or Lightning Butterfly Walking Uphill. This is a perfect use of your talents, making realistic anthropomorphs.

    Congratulations on your second publication and I'm sure your third and tenth aren't far away.

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 18 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home