Illustrators of the Future 2006

5.04.2007

Questions about Wacoms

The time is quickly approaching when I'll be able to end my senseless griping and finally purchase a +4 Wacom Tablet of Awesomeness. However, I'm a n00b.

I have very little idea of what the bonuses and limitations of a Wacom are (apart from its +4 modifier vs. kobolds). So, as I gear up to re-vamp my home system and buy this mysterious object, I'm asking you, my fellow illustrators: what's your advice on Wacoms?

To me, they seem like the best possible method of creating color work. I hate paint, and colored pencil is rather limited. So are Wacoms the devil? Are they heralded by angels and unicorn foxes? Do they take forever to get used to? What's the best one?

Any advice is good advice.

3 Comments:

  • My experience with the different models is limited, but I can say that you'll be happy with whatever Wacom you decide to buy. I've got the smallest, cheapest one (Graphire 4x5) and I've had it for almost 4 years, and it's still awesome. When I first got it I was concerned that the working area of the tablet was too small (I have a widescreen monitor) but it isn't at all. really, the Wacom does everything I need it to. I didn't find it took much time getting used to, although my roommates seem to have trouble with it whenever they try to use my computer. I find it so, so much easier on my hand--and I keep my mouse plugged in on the left side so I can still work or surf while resting my drawing hand.I loooove my Wacom, it is my favourite art tool after the pen and the pencil.

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 04 May, 2007  

  • Thanks, Tamara! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear.

    I feel like I have this huge and ornately developed dream of what I could do with a tablet, but it's based entirely on fictional imaginings. I've never used one, and only briefly even seen one used by someone else.

    Why is it you can test play a video game costing $50, but you can't test drive a specialty peripheral costing more than $200? Ah well.

    Thanks for the info!

    By Blogger Naten, at 10 May, 2007  

  • I have a Wacom Graphire that's prolly 6x5 or something, the next step up from Tamara. It's a good investment; I got mine 5 or so years ago. It took me about 4 weeks to get used to using it, but when it comes to speed, it can't be beat. I would recommend working with your Master Opacity and Flow levels first, before you start depending on pressure sensitivity. It's an easier and smoother beginning.
    So yes, tablets are heralded, not so much by unicorn foxes, but my dorks on DeviantArt and the like.

    By Blogger Droemar, at 10 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home