Illustrators of the Future 2006

5.11.2007

Freelance, Mebbe


I have a sign hanging in a comic/gaming shop down in Austin, and somebody apparantly liked what they saw. These are character designs for a pen-and-paper roleplaying game called Dardunah. If all goes well, these will appear in a book. If the directer of the project likes them, I'll have more work. It's kind a dream job, designing fantasy anthro characters, but I dunno. I'm not particularly fond of pencil and it's been a long time since I did a full piece, so I don't have a super high opinion of these. Plus, I'm not even getting paid what I'd really like to be; about half that, in fact. And what happens if the image does get published? Do I get royalties or what? Why are illustrators always seen as so expendable? "Look, you just draw pictures, okay? No reason to pay you minimum wage or anything, since YOU have FUN at your job."
Ah, the fine squiggly line between getting paid crap and not getting paid at all. Are you shy, squiggly line? It's all right. I forgive you.

4 Comments:

  • Good luck with the gig! This sounds like something that you CAN have FUN with because you have the skills to create awesome anthro characters. And don't sweat the pay--just do the best you can do and the rest will fall into place. You got the job 'cause someone noticed the sign--who knows where this could lead. Own the project!!

    By Blogger Ozzie, at 15 May, 2007  

  • Very cool how you got noticed like that! As for your squiggly line... I know how frustrated you are, producing professional-calibre work but not getting the pay you deserve... but I kind of think it's worth it to get your foot in the door, get some more publications on the resume. (Of course, it all depends on how much work they want you to do and for how little. I mean you shouldn't work your fingers to the bone for pennies.) But like Ozzie says, if this is something you can have fun with, along the lines of what you like to draw anyway, why not just do your thing and let them publish it?

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 16 May, 2007  

  • I hear ya about the pay scale. I think I'm under-bidding myself most of the time, but what do I know? That said, it's awesome that you got a job by posting in a shop! Today, pennies from an independent game company. Tomorrow, $5k per cover and an uptown pad from Tor. Or whatever.

    I just think it's great that you're working. Pretty soon, you'll be able to make a living with all the jobs you do. And then, hooray!

    By Blogger Naten, at 17 May, 2007  

  • Thanks, guys. I'll keep ya posted; most of the stuff appears to be collaborative, so there's a divvying up up of work per piece. At least til I get caught up to speed on the style. It's good to know I'm not the only person who feels this way!

    By Blogger Droemar, at 18 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home