Illustrators of the Future 2006

9.05.2007

Light and Shadow

I'm starting to study how to really model a drawing, make it look ... well, less flat, in all honesty. I've obeyed the rigid law of ink lines for a long time, but now I fel I'm kind of limiting myself. So, does anyone have any tips or techniques on how they deal with light and shadow? Or good books to get that dicuss the subject?
I've been doing plenty of still life, and there's nothing wrong with my eye. I just can't seem to BS shadows when I don't have reference. I'm intrigued to know how the rest of you approach the problem.

2 Comments:

  • Andrew Loomis had a teacher who always said
    "Always be able to draw the far ear." refering to the ear on the other side of the head, the one you can't see.

    Thats all I can really offer. When you draw something try to make it something that Pixar could animate. I just try to check that the ears line up with the eyes and all that.

    By Blogger melelel, at 06 September, 2007  

  • I'm a big fan of the "life reference" school of thought. There are books that break down how light works and how it affects objects of different shapes at different distances and how they relate to each other in regards to the light cast upon them and reflected off them, but none of them ever really made any sense to me. When it came to learning I was more interested in doing.

    So, I dragged out every photo and set up every scene I had any interest in and sketched them. I watched where the light came from and what it bounced off of. I tried spotlights, floor lamps, candles, and sunlight on fruit, bricks, dolls, spatulas, and people.

    To start, I'd avoid things with a lot of texture or color variation, then switch to sheep dogs and tree bark.

    I hope this helps! And thanks for defibrillating the blog.

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 07 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home