Illustrators of the Future 2006

10.24.2006

aminals!

So I drew this sketch on Sunday. Thought it would make a good main image for the website I'm always threatening, that I might get around to putting up some day...

I'm having a slight dilemma with this sketch. I actually like it, but it didn't turn out at all like how I first envisioned it. In fact, whole swirly-imagery-thing coming out of the pen ended up being waaay more stylized than my original rough sketch was. I had intended something more realistic that I could try to paint, but to me, this piece is just crying out to be inked. Sometimes I wonder if I should even bother trying to force my way out of cartooning and line art? I love inking, but I feel like I should be pushing myself to try painting more 3D forms. But if I'm being honest with myself, I'm far more interested in highly graphic, stylized or abstract illustration than I am by hyper-realistic painting (though I'm impressed by it, of course.) I'm obsessed with linework, and Aubrey Beardsley is my idol. So I guess my dilemma is, I don't actually feel like I'm stuck in a rut--but should I feel like I'm stuck in a rut?

8 Comments:

  • Hmmm. Before my comments I have to say that I am obsessed with swirly images and stuff like this! I love how it is coming out. I think you should play it up more! Tangling through your hair and all around your head, since that is where your hand and ultimately your pencil get it's power :D

    otherwise:

    #1: I see no reason why painting is limited to hyper-realism. Therefore, I see no reason why this couldn't be painted, if you want, just how it is - it has no need to be realistic if that's not how you want it to be. The entirity of 20th century painting has been trying to get away from realism! This would be madly cool if you painted it just as abstract and stylized as the sketch is. Or... you can ink it!

    #2: Me and Laura were actually talking about this the other day. There is a difference between "being stuck in a rut" and "doing what you truly love" (or as Val said, "what makes your heart sing") If lineart is your thing, and what really gets you going, then by gosh by gum, do it!

    I don't know if that does anything to you, but it's my honest thoughts.

    By Blogger Katya, at 24 October, 2006  

  • I think there's plenty of room in the world for all sorts of artistic styles, and I think we're too young, professionally, to worry about being in a rut.

    Do whatever makes you happy with your art, and build on your strengths rather than worrying about being well-rounded for now.

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 24 October, 2006  

  • Very cool, T. I like the fact I can find new and interesting things when I go through the swirls. Nice job on the self portrait too--the body language and details are great. Keep doing your thing!

    By Blogger Ozzie, at 25 October, 2006  

  • Thanks guys. Nat, Kate--very helpful advice. That was just what I needed to hear!

    Will post again when it's finished.

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 25 October, 2006  

  • Ahahaha I wrote Nat and Kate instead of Kat and nate but I'm leaving it there 'cause it's funny... boy, I'm tired.

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 25 October, 2006  

  • How misleading! I was looking forward to animals. I like the plants, tho; I'm a sucker for swirly stylized things, too.

    It can be aggravating to shoot for realism and have cartoon stuff ocme out instead. (God knows that happens to me enough.) But I'd say keep reference on hand; those tend to help me stay on track.

    By Blogger Droemar, at 25 October, 2006  

  • it's not exactly misleading. I did say "aminals", and there are 4 aminals and two bugs in the swirlies:)

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 25 October, 2006  

  • yeah, that doesn't deter me, I knew it was hardly an original concept.

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 26 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home