Illustrators of the Future 2006

10.19.2006

Book Signing Report

Hello, fellow illustrators! Well, got through my first book signing on Saturday, and it was quite the experience. It was a busy day at Borders with about 3 other book signings, an educational game demonstration, and and Educators Discount Day going on. Whew! Kind of like a carnival. Anyway, they set me up at a nice big table, and immediately sprang my plan into action.

Deftly unsheathing my jumbo-sized sketchbook, I flipped the cover open in a vicious arc and narrowed my eyes at the oblivious store patrons. They had no idea what was coming. With a flick of the wrist, my trusty Koh-i-noor .5mm Rapidomatic popped out of its concealed holster and into my waiting grip. Then it started. Sketch! Doodle! Cartoon! Three were down before the staff had any idea what was happening. A crowd of onlookers gathered to witness the sweet horrible magic I wielded, and that only fueled my frenzy.

"What's he doing?" they cried. "I can only do stick figures," wailed a few older women. I knew they were in awe of my actions, but I felt they needed guidance. Focusing my chi and centering the weight of my spiritual power, I spoke to the masses. The gods' ambrosia to starving children were the words that flowed from my lips, and they knealt and offered breakfast cereals at hearing my truth.

"Practice makes perfect."

Anyway, while drawing to attract attention was a great hit, and I did have a crowd of about 8 for a while, I need to work on my selling. After about two and a half hours, I sold only one book, and even then I had to reassure her that it had nothing to do with Scientology. The good news is that for all that time, I was only left alone for about 20 minutes at the beginning and 20 minutes at the end (which was why I called it a day). So that's that.

Also, I heard that Alex had a book signing on the same day I did, so I think YOU, mistah Torres, should post a report too! That's all I have, but I'll get some sketches up soon.

5 Comments:

  • Breakfast cereals is pretty lousy tribute.

    That's cool. I have a book signing on the 17th, I think. I should probably bring drawing stuff to make friends and not be lonely.

    1 book, eh? Nice.

    By Blogger Droemar, at 19 October, 2006  

  • Hey Naten!! Whats up!
    You're right, I had mi 1st event the same day as you. The report will be ready for this weekend.
    Out--

    By Blogger Alex, at 19 October, 2006  

  • ALEX! See, we knew you were here. You should poooost~!

    Nate, you need to write an autobiography. I'd buy a million copies, for reals.

    Sounds like your first book signing went well! I was kinda worried about being an illustrator having a book signing because I guess people are more looking for authors. However, art-ego-boosts are always good :D Especially when they include cereal. MMmm... cereal..

    By Blogger Katya, at 20 October, 2006  

  • I second Kitteh on the autobio. Not if it takes any time away from your comic work though. I was super disappointed to miss my Simon fix last Tues when your scanner went down!

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 23 October, 2006  

  • Yeah, I'm looking forward to my own adventure. They've got me scheduled for Dec. 10 at the rat mall here in Boone. Ahem, or should I say "the area's only indoor mall" as it is advertised about the mountains. I did notice the other day that they wrangled some poor schmuck into having a book signing there about some fiction novel, so we'll see how the fishing goes for him. In the meantime, I'll be plotting ways to whore my art.

    By Blogger K. Feigenbaum, at 25 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home