Illustrators of the Future 2006

10.10.2006

No Art--Just News!

Hey guys, I received my first response from a publisher today and I have great news. They have an interest in publishing my story with a few minor changes. They publish books for kids in K-3, so I have to reduce my word count and use smaller words. Also, I have to expand my story to 32 pages, but I don't have to create any new art yet. If they're cool with the manuscript revisions, they'll send it out to school teachers, librarians, etc. in February to get their feedback. Then a contract negotiation can begin and I will start the new illustrations. I know it's early, but I wanted to share this info. I'll be researching appropriate words for kids in this age/grade level this weekend, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. For now, I'll hit B&N and a local educational store for info. Wish me luck! :)

7 Comments:

  • Woohoo! That's awesome news, Ozzie! I hope for all the best for your book. Y'know, my wife is an elementary school teacher, so if you sent me what needs to be reworded, I could ask her for suggestions.

    Congrats, man!

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 10 October, 2006  

  • Yeehaw! Wonderful News, Ozzie! This is so exciting! To be able to see your book be published.. ahh... the one we all got to see and hold :D *bubbles* I hope this is fruitful for you! Best of luck this can be your big break :D

    By Blogger Katya, at 11 October, 2006  

  • Thanks everyone! When I got home yesterday, I actually got another response from a pub I sent a query letter to. They requested the full manuscript and illustrations for review. Two in one day...I'm speechless. The re-write isn't due until January, so I have plenty of time for that. Nate, I'll def take you and your wife up on that offer as soon as I get started.

    By Blogger Ozzie, at 11 October, 2006  

  • Sah-weeet! That is so cool; I knew it was an awesome idea as soon as you showed it to me and Kat. Do indeed let usknow what happens; that is so cool.

    Also, you get the rest of us an in, right? Right!?

    By Blogger Droemar, at 13 October, 2006  

  • Thanks again guys. I've been hit with a couple of rejections and a "consideration" too following my last post, but I'm not sweating it (or at least pretending they don't sting a little.) I appreciate the encouragement--you guys rock. And Laura, you and the rest will always have an in with me. :)

    By Blogger Ozzie, at 16 October, 2006  

  • Way to make us all look like slackers, man! I'm very happy for you. That book NEEDS to be published, there is just no other way. You knew it was bound to happen. Congrats! (hug)

    By Blogger K. Feigenbaum, at 17 October, 2006  

  • That's GREAT! Congrats Ozzie. You already got their attention and that's the hardest part. I wish you the best luck in this business and the ones to come.

    By Blogger Alex, at 18 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home