Illustrators of the Future 2006

10.22.2006

No need for sticks and torches! Updated


Hi guys! Sorry for the interlude. I was caught between dayli life work and exhausting tryings to understand the blog tool. I have been working a a lot after the IOTF event. A few contests submissions and a whole new sculpture (I will include a few pics if I find how). Here the submission for the warcraft Blizzard contests (thanks Mike for the info).
Also I had my first signing event last saturday. It was kind of slow but it was fun. The bookstore wasn't precisely crowded and actually I was the only one doing signings. No one gave me breakfast cereal (the jealousy is killing me Naten!), but drawing in situ definetly "draws" the attention. And don't worry Naten, at the end of the event I only signed 3 to 4 books and my fiancee found one of them stranded near the cashier.

Before this signing event I e-mailed to Ron, Val and Steve (our new mentors ;) and Val asked me if I can foward some advices from the info she gave me bout signing events.. so she said:
"When our childrens' books came out, our signings were all different. Some did not advertise, and only a few people showed up. Some put us at a table, in the back corner in the dark - so to speak. But most were just nice folks, trying to earn a living with their love of running a book store. They want to share and sell books. Even a few the chains, had people who love what they're doing. So here is where you come in. Call the store and tell them you have a signing on (date ) and you have some questions. Ron reminded me : Tell them you would like to sell some Prints, and ask "What percentage do you take ". The more information you can give them - is useful for their advertising, A bookstore may give you a 4x4 or a 4x 8 table. Depending on space, just ask. Be respectful though, and I know you are. In answer to what to bring, Bring your business cards, notebook, sketchbook, and on your first and every time, a support friend. The support friend, makes it easier the first time After that, it's just fun, because you have had that experience, and then you can say to each other, "Well,-- That Happened " Have a wonderful time at your signing ! Send me a post on your impressions. "---Val


Ah! and this is the sculpture i started after the workshops. It is made of clay and measures 7" tall aprox. In these pictures it's unfinished so i will post the finished ones shorly.Everyone Take care, i will post more later...

4 Comments:

  • YAY! You're here!!!

    Good luck with your Blizzard contest entry. That creature looks really cool. The textures on his skin and armour are just amazing, and the green highlights are perfect. I am in awe of your mad painting skills.

    And the head! Man, the detail is just phenomenal! I don't really know what else to say about it. How much time have you spent on it? Can't wait to see the finished pictures!

    PS. if you have any pictures from San Diego, you should send them to us!

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 23 October, 2006  

  • Wow! I can't believe how amazing that sculpture is looking compared to the drawing you did. Good work all around and good job on your book signing too! Best of luck in the Blizzard contest.

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 24 October, 2006  

  • Hello there Alex!! So good to finally hear from you ^.^

    Loving that creature. The texture is astounding, and it's so involved without losing the 3D form of the creature. I love the vascular/spongey look of the flesh!!

    Of course, the sculptire is just WOAH. The details are looking beautiful, and I love the rugged structure of his face. I'm a sucker for aquiline noses. I can't wait to see more progress!!

    Thanks for posting!

    By Blogger Katya, at 24 October, 2006  

  • *puts away torch and pitchfork* Lucky fer you ...

    The Blizzard intro looks good! A lot of folks who enter that kind of stuff are insanely good ... but, you're one of them so you should be able to hold your own.

    I'm gonna assuume mr is Miguel ...

    By Blogger Droemar, at 25 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home