Illustrators of the Future 2006

11.08.2006

Concept Crap (Literally!)




Okay, these are the first 3 extended sketches for my illustrations for Daemonfire. I'm well aware of just how crappy these are, but I hope folks will be able to get the general idea so I can get critique. I'm looking to make sure that balance and dynamic and composition all work, cause I don't want the final pieces to be completely shredded.

All of the drawings are to be vertically oriented on 11 x 17 bristol, for what that's worth. DOn't be shy!

2 Comments:

  • Oh, my great and holy gods of Koh-i-noor! This really is garbage! What does any of it even mean?!

    I'm joking of course, and shame upon ye for self-defacing um...yourself. So, I'll start from the bottom up. The last one looks familiar. Was it an element in another picture you've done? Naturally my envy of your animal-drawing ability is neverending.

    I love the composition of the middle one. The cat and the tree are terrific anchors, and I know you always do great backgrounds.

    The top one is my favorite. Now I could say that the background figure is either a giant frog wearing a cat helmet, or a giant cat wearing a safety pin necklace, but I won't. That would be exploiting the free-form nature of thumbnail sketches for the sake of humor, which is reprehensible. However (channeling the Lindahns) you might want to crop the right or expand the left to make it a more interesting composition. Then again, centralizing the background figure does lend him power.

    Can't wait to see the actual pieces!

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 09 November, 2006  

  • Hmm...these are a little tough to make out but the compositions look pretty good from what I can see. I think the bottom one is the strongest because of the angles you have going--they break up the page nicely. And looking up at these guys gives them a more powerful stance. I also like that there's a good amount of white space to give your eyes a place to rest.

    By Blogger Ozzie, at 10 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home