Illustrators of the Future 2006

10.28.2006

Book Signing Suckage

All right, let me begin by apologizing for mocking Nate's selling of a single book at his signing. Ahem. Cause I didn't sell a single one.


I had maybe 2 older guys who at least chatted, but they were completely not interested. (One of them was working.) Some frat boys came by and I think they were half-flirting, half-mocking me. (Who can tell with stupid immature frat boys, anyway?) And towards the very end of things, right as I was packing up, a nerdly sort picked one of the books up, put it down, and laughed. I said "Do you like science fiction and fantasy?" He sneered coolly. "Yes, I do, actually," and sauntered off.

I'm definitely not cut out for socializing. Perhaps it was pessimistic karma. I'm also in the middle of conservative country (Lubbock has one of the highest teen pregancy rates in the country because they don't teach sex ed in their schools.) Maybe people will be more fascinated by my drawing at an actual bookstore. Maybe drawings don't mean much to college kids.

4 Comments:

  • hahaha, the image of Laura going postal at a book signing is just too funny. Although I picture her as the type that would bare her teeth and gouge your eyes out rather than smack someone with a chair.

    well, at least you're brave enough to face a book signing. I'm kinda copping out on that.

    By Blogger LetterGhost, at 29 October, 2006  

  • Wow. Sorry to hear about that. But hey, I'm in the same boat as T, I don't think I'm going to do one so you get props just for being out there. :)

    By Blogger Ozzie, at 30 October, 2006  

  • I am scared to do mine because thats all I hear is how much they suck. I mean, if they suck for authors, why do they think illustrators would be any better? I have freakin' 5 of them lined up right now and I am pretty sure the outcome will be the same. No one wants to talk to a no-name illustrator from some yearly anthology.

    Sara told me, however, to try some different ploys. I could do free quick caricatures (not keen on this idea) or show the video on loop there and hopefully interest people with me sitting there drawing. I could bring my portfolio and stuff.

    Sorry it sucked for you. *hugs*

    By Blogger Katya, at 30 October, 2006  

  • I feel for ya. I had my second signing last saturday and it sucked big time. There were no open spaces in the Barnes and Noble, so they put me in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section which was kind of out-of-the-way. I got nibbles, but no bites. Not even my mad sketching could draw a crowd out of thin air this time.

    I almost envy those of you who said "no" to signings.

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 31 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home