Illustrators of the Future 2006

12.10.2006

Just to Drive the Point Home...

Booksignings probably are the best and most efficient methon of wasting time in which one can engage one's self. I was clocking in there at one book per hour for three hours. Apart from the awkward glances and painfully polite attempts to ignore my efforts, I did receive several interesting reactions. First, after pitching my sales attempt, one older guy bluntly declined to purchase anything and quickly proceeded to mention that I was attractive. It must be how Vanna White feels, I'd imagine. I was pretty much treated by the general public as an employee of Waldenbooks. People kept asking me where the bathroom was, where they could find their favorite author, if a certain book had been released yet, and so on. When I did get an interested party, they were pretty much dumbfounded that I was actually the person doing the work and not just selling it. Wow, girls can actually have talent? I had no idea we weren't living in the 1950's rural southern-Babtist bible belt. Hot Damn!

And then, of course, there was the issue of Scientology. One guy walked in, quickly refused to purchase anything and ran into the store. Later, the manager of the store came up to me and said the guy mentioned he was affraid to speak with me because he thought I was a recruiter for Scientology. He came back and appologized for being rude, but still didn't buy anything.

The only good thing that came of the experience was that several people I know, and who like my work, just happened to be shopping that day and bought some prints. I sold 6, which was enough to make up the printing cost. So, it really wasn't a complete waste of time.

Needless to say, I'm not chomping at the bit for the next event. People simply aren't interested in a book like this on a large enough scale to make a booksigning worthwhile. Unless, of course you are in California (hi, Miguel).

7 Comments:

  • Oh, so true. At my signing on Saturday, no less than three people asked if I was L. Ron Hubbard. One other man was not interested in my pitch or the book at all (despite the fact that he was reading the back of one), and only wanted to know if I knew why the IRS had revoked something-or-other from the Church of Scientology. When I said I had no earthly clue, he promptly left. I appreciate the contest and Galaxy Press, but I think if Hubbard's name was smaller, I wouldn't have to spend so much time distancing the book from Scientology.

    Grar.

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 11 December, 2006  

  • Holy crap, I haven't had THAT bad of a reaction. You poor guys, Nate and Kim! *pats* I think I'd cry myself to sleep after some of that stuff. Although, I have been asked where the restroom is. The worst I've gotten is "Isn't that that Scientology guy?"
    The idea of Nate being L. Ron Hubbard makes me snicker.
    Crazy stuff. But hilarious. I've got one more book-sgning, I think, and then I am so done. I hope you guys can muscle through it.

    And Mel, Vanna White was the sexy letter-turner on the Wheel of Fortune gameshow here in America.

    By Blogger Droemar, at 11 December, 2006  

  • Vanna White's job is to move the letters on the tv show "Wheel of Fortune." She just stands there, smiles, and turns the letters while retirees from Florida oogle at her and wet their depends in excitement. Wow, that sounds cynical. Sometimes, I surprise even myself.

    By Blogger K. Feigenbaum, at 11 December, 2006  

  • Also, Hubbard didn't write the book. I don't know how many times someone said, "Oh, I've never read anyhting by him," or "what else has he written?" People don't read the title, they just see his name. Of course Galaxy Press does this to sell more books, but then that brings up the question at hand: Do they really care about promoting new writers and artists, or are they just trying to capitalize on his name recognition? I think the anwser is pretty obvious. I think this contest is a very good opportunity to get one's name out there, but at some point we have to move out of Hubbard's shadow. The only way to do that is to get stuff published with other companies. None of us should expect to be riding the wave of publicity from this book forever.

    By Blogger K. Feigenbaum, at 11 December, 2006  

  • I know I certainly don't want to be riding the L. Ron Hubbard train any longer than necessary. At this point, I just want it to be an entry on my resume. Anyone else thinking of doing cons?

    And yeah, Kim, that description of Vanna was pretty cynical. Go read some Family Circus cartoons or something.

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 12 December, 2006  

  • I'm planning on attending Heroes in Charlotte this summer and Dragon*Con in Atlanta this September. I might go to Animazement in Raleigh, but I haven't decided yet. I think going to the Manhattan comic con would rock hard core tasty abs washer board style but I don't think I can fit it into my schedule. If anyone is interested in going to Dragon*Con there would be free lodging at my mom's house/ Jay's house(husband).

    I forgot to mention that at the book signing I sold 6 prints in the three hours I was there. Since the manager of the store didn't take a commission, I got to keep all the profit. I was able to make enought to cover the cost of making the prints plus a little extra. If you guys aren't selling your prints you should get crackin'. You're missing out! Even in the exact center of nowhere-Boone NC, I was able to at least sell my art. That's mildly comforting.

    By Blogger K. Feigenbaum, at 12 December, 2006  

  • Hey, I've tried selling my prints, but got skunked both times out. Maybe it's my technique.

    By Blogger Major Sheep, at 13 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home