Illustrators of the Future 2006

2.26.2007

Upholding the Law, Mutant Badger Style.


Hey guys, I just completed this guy for a weekly activity on ConceptArt.org. The topic was to create a "non-human law enforcement officer." Naturally, a huge mutant badger was the first thing to come to mind. That and Mahoney from "Police Academy" but I couldn't find a way to include him, being human and all.

It's digital and it took me about two days. Basically I used the same process as before - drew it in the ol' sketchbook and then painted over it. I tried to focus a little more on the background, although I couldn't do what I really wanted due to time constraints. I had planned on having another badger on the ground who had been beaten into submission. Curious yet terrified onlookers would be trying to see what happened hence the "move it along..." phrase. Oh well, maybe next time. There's always room for unnecessary violence in art. That's why it's so great.

3 Comments:

  • Wow. This guy looks straight out of Redwall, and I particularly like the softness of the fur. Aw, he's a huggable figure of authoritay. Great costume design, too. The helmet and skirt are my favorites, but I also love that his tunic is tied closed. And is that an acorn badge? Very nice touch.

    Which reminds me, did you send something in to Spectrum?

    By Blogger Naten, at 27 February, 2007  

  • Thanks, Nate. I ahven't read Redwall but I have seen some of the art. Now that you mention it I can see a similarity. I was kind of going for a Roman theme. Not sure where I got the idea for the acorn badge. It just popped out.

    I did send something to Spectrum but they haven't updated their website yet. I wish they would so I can know for sure that I didn't get in.

    By Blogger K. Feigenbaum, at 27 February, 2007  

  • Yeah, this guy has a Redwall feel, if Redwall suddenly became a conquering empire. Great gesture; he looks very "beat it, bub." And you know if he smacked you with that club you'd lose teeth ...

    By Blogger Droemar, at 28 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home